WECO KDF85-1252 Backwashing Filter with KDF®-85 For Hydrogen Sulfide and Iron Removal
- Point-Of-Entry (POE) whole house residential/commercial hydrogen sulfide and iron removal system for community and well water supplies.
- Programmed to backwash drain periodically, self cleaning the filter bed. With proper backwashing flow rates available, the media is designed to last years. Backwash frequency can be adjusted.
- Filter media with high purity copper-zinc granules that use redox technology (the exchange of electrons) to remove hydrogen sulfide the noxious “rotten egg” odor and ferrous iron in potable water without the use of chemicals.
- Optional programmable auxiliary relays, remote regen/lockout features, advanced system diagnostics all included in the commercial grade touch screen control valve head.
- All systems made to order, assembled in California and programmed to ‘ship to’ address average water temperature for maximum efficiency.
- Needs minimum backwash flow of 22 gpm. Service flow 10 gpm.
WECO Backwashing Filter with KDF®-85 For Hydrogen Sulfide and Heavy Metal Removal
The WECO Backwashing filter with KDF®-85 is a Point-Of-Entry (POE) hydrogen sulfide removal system for municipal and well water supplies. KDF®-85 consists of high purity copper-zinc granules that use redox (the exchange of electrons) to remove hydrogen sulfide, ferrous iron, heavy metals, and control microorganisms in potable water without the use of chemicals. WECO backwashing filters are available in a variety of sizes. Please consult with WECO Technical Support for assistance in selecting the proper size filter to meet your water purification requirements.
Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is responsible for noxious “rotten egg” odors in bath water, showers and drinking water. The odor may be noticeable only when the water is initially turned on or when hot water is run. Heat forces the gas into the air which may cause the odor to be especially offensive in a shower. Hydrogen sulfide is corrosive to metals such as iron, steel, copper and brass. It can tarnish silverware and discolor copper and brass. Hydrogen sulfide creates yellow or black stains on kitchen and bathroom faucets. Coffee, tea and other beverages made with water containing hydrogen sulfide may be discolored. Prepare foods’ appearance and taste are affected by H2S in water.
Ferrous iron is invisible in water until it reacts with oxygen and precipitates as ferric iron particles. Iron can foul water softeners and other ion-exchange resin filtration systems. Iron will also reduce the efficiency of reverse osmosis filtration systems. Iron gives hair orange-tinted highlights and interferes with coloring products. Iron particles clog shower heads and faucet aerators. Iron is known to foul and damage water-using industrial and medical equipment. Copper can cause hair to have a greenish tint that causes hair coloring products to look too dark. Blue stains in bath tubs, sinks and toilets are caused by copper. KDF-85 has anti-microbial properties that help reduce bacteria growth in the filter system.
The WECO backwashing filter consists of a Structural Poly Glass™ pressure tank and a Fleck 5810 XTR2 touch screen controller. Structural Poly Glass™ is the ideal filter media tank for residential and industrial water filtration and conditioning duty. The pressure tank also has an attractive stainless-steel outer jacket for good looks, and durability. This combination provides unmatched strength and chemical resistance for years of trouble-free service. The slim diameter makes installation easy in tight locations and does not take up a lot of floor space. The Fleck XTR2 controller is constructed of a fiber-reinforced polymer valve body for superior strength and durability. It is non-corrosive and UV-resistant. The controller uses an optical sensor for precision cycle positioning. The Fleck XTR2 is easily programmed and user-friendly due to detailed screen descriptions, color LCD display, and familiar icons. The intuitive navigation is easy with the large, easy to see LCD screen. The controller has an internal memory that remembers your settings during a power failure. It also has a convenient Vacation Mode to save water when not in use. The password lock-out prevents unauthorized users from changing the settings. An audible alarm sounds if there is a controller error. Diagnostics can be downloaded via USB should the need arise. The Fleck XTR2 controller has feature rich diagnostics including:
- Current Flow Rate
- Peak Flow Rate (can be reset)
- Totalizer (can be reset)
- Last Regeneration
- Daily usage for last four weeks
- Software Version
- Number of Regenerations
- Regeneration Interval
- Usage since last regeneration
- Last program change
Water enters the top of the tank through the Fleck control valve and passes downward through the KDF-85 filter media, which removes impurities. The WECO backwashing filter will clean itself periodically by rinsing away impurities it has filtered from water. When the filter medium is saturated with contaminants, the control valve automatically starts the backwash and regeneration process. The backwash procedure is an operation where water passes backward through the filter media at a fast flow rate. It enters the tank at the bottom through the riser tube, then flows upward through the filter medium, exiting at the control valve and sent to waste. The rapid, turbulent upward waterflow, in addition to flushing away particulate matter, loosens and resettles the media bed, preparing it for another filtration cycle. The treated and conditioned water enters the riser tube at the bottom of the mineral tank, passing upward and exiting the filter through the control valve.
The WECO backwashing filter with KDF-85 is available in a variety of sizes. The filter can be operated stand-alone or in conjunction with other filtration processes. Please contact WECO Technical Support for expert assistance sizing and configuring your filtration system.
Filter Media Certifications:
- NSF/ANSI Standard 42 – Drinking Water Treatment Units – Aesthetic Effects.
- California Health and Safety Code Section 166875 (or commonly know as AB1953)
- Vermont Act 193.
- Tested and Certified by the WQA to NSF/ANSI Standard 44 for Water Softener Performance.
- Tested and Certified by the WQA to NSF/ANSI Standard 372 for Lead Free Compliance.
NSF Tank Certifications:
- Safety factor: 4:1
- Minimum burst at 600 psi
- Tested to 100,000 cycles without leakage
Residential tanks 6"-16" in diameter are Certified to NSF 44
- Maximum operating pressure: 150 psi
- Maximum operating temperature: 120° F
Vessels tested and certified by the Water Quality Association (WQA) to NSF/ANSI Std. 44 for material safety and structural integrity requirements and Std. 372 for low lead compliance.
Valve Material Fiber-reinforced polymer
FLOW RATES (50 PSI INLET) – VALVE ALONE
Continuous (15 psi drop) 36 GPM
Cv (flow at 1 psi drop) 5.4
Max. Backwash (25 psi drop) 28 GPM
Adjustable Cycles Yes
Time Available XTR2: 0-240 minutes per cycle
Meter Accuracy .25 - 15 GPM +/-5%
Meter Capacity Range (gal.) LXT: volume calculated XTR2: 1-99,999,999